Monday, April 23, 2007

Psych!

So...here I am at 5:53am. I'm exhausted, Andrew's leaving today, I loathe this...yet...the birds are singing, the trees are lovely, the pool is still as glass...if only it weren't for the dreams.

HAMLET
O God, I could be bounded in a nut shell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

GUILDENSTERN
Which dreams indeed are ambition, for the very substance of the ambitious is merely the shadow of a dream.

HAMLET
A dream itself is but a shadow.

ROSENCRANTZ
Truly, and I hold ambition of so airy and light a quality that it is but a shadow's shadow.

HAMLET

Then are our beggars bodies, and our monarchs and outstretched heroes the beggars' shadows.


I know nothing of ambition, but I had many many bad dreams last night--and knowing they're shadows doesn't help...in fact, it kinda makes it worse... They're the kind of dreams that make me not want to be alone in the house with the kids when Andrew's gone. Those horrible 'almost us, almost here' alternate reality dreams that relentlessly roll by, changing into something worse and worse, that make you panic in the middle of the night. Maybe I'll ask Mom if she'd mind spending the night tonight...

On the up side, I got sick of working on the hoodie last night and cast on for the Hufflepuff sock. If I can ever figure out how to manipulate the chart I made into a jpg I'll post it here. For now, though, this is the beginning of the pattern (I'll post it all at once and neatly when I'm done, using this incredible site to generate charts for my fun patterns).

Cast on in contrasting toe color using the awesome Knitty Cast-on for toe-up socks. After a number of socks I've found that I like to have at least 7-8 stitches on each needle (14-16 per side of the cast on, 28-32 sts total). Less makes for too pointy a toe, and I'm not sure what my secret pal's feet look like, so I thought I'd rely on the socks to stretch into pointy-ness if necessary. I was rather limited in sock yarn choice, though (bright yellow was easy to find, but a matching weight in black was a little tough this time of year), so my toe is less stretchy than I'd like...at least it is now.

I'll alternate knit-only rounds with
Needle 1: k2, right increase, knit across
Needle 2: knit across until there are two sts left, left increase, k 2
Needles 3-4: repeat 1 and 2

Continue increasing until 60 sts are reached. The sock will be knit in a continuous patterned ribbed stitch, so unless the foot is huge, 60 sts should be fine.







Enough for now. I have to get my son's schoolwork ready.

Oh!
And look. Here he is! Ridiculously early for him. We'll both need naps today.

Tomorrow we demonstrate spinning (and he'll be doing...stuff) at the Pima County Fair! We'll need our beauty sleep tomorrow...maybe I should call mom.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I used to hate it when DH went out of town but as the kids got older it got easier. They got to sleep in my bed when Daddy was gone! It will get easier...DON'T watch anything scary on television!

I was hoping you were going to give us a glimpse of those Hufflepuff socks!