Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Pain: Two Kinds

First: Oral Surgery. Ouch.
Drugs—Niiiiiice.

But enough of that.

My mind is with Virginia now, not in some sappy "I feel your pain" way, but more like, "the horror...the horror..."

Having lived through my little corner of 9/11 and the aftermath, I can honestly say how sorry I am that these kids will forever measure their days by this moment. This blip on an otherwise lovely life. This is their own little corner of hell, and many, too many of them are going to wrestle with survivor's guilt and "what if" and "if only" and there's a huge part of me that wishes I could take that away from them.

Then there's Keith Olberman...

Last night Olberman talked about the disconnect between mourning the kids who died at VT and (the lack of mourning for) the kids who died in the last ten days in Iraq and he made me think...

There are too many of us who think, "well, the kids in Iraq knew what they were signing up for. They KNEW they might die...I mean, they're in the Millitary fer chrissake."

But that isn't true. I mean, they know they're WILLING to die for their country. But I cannot believe any of them signed up TO die. Nor did they sign up for this war. Rememeber what we of the hubris said back in the '90s?

The next war will be all buttons.

There won't be another war.

You should join the military! You'll get some discipline and some good training and think of what you can do with all that experience.

I think we're jaded these days in some really ugly ways.

Jaded and mean.

And I'm including myself in there. I've gone there too.

WWMDfK
?

Makes me sick...

No comments: