Friday, May 09, 2008

Day 2: On Board!

Friday, May 9, 2008
Up, phoning, showering, dressing, comparing lack of departure-time information and messages, bellhopping, elevatoring up and down express and local elevators and finally heading downstairs to try to find (a) food and (b) sock knitters.

We DID manage to find Brenda some shoes so she’d be able to eat with the rest of the pack on Formal Nights. It was fabulously successful, and made possible by Jasmine’s careful and patient watching-of-the-bags. When the bus arrived, we made our way outside to find our bags that our bellmen had faithfully stowed out on the curb. The bus guy started stashing the luggage and it became instantly apparent that (a) the luggage was not going to fit on the bus and (b) we all might not fit on the bus.

But, you know, whatever.

My bags and Brenda and Tonia’s bags made it onto the bus, so we went too. But at least seven folks were left behind. The impression I got was that we’d get dropped off with our luggage at the terminal, the bus would go back and get the remaining folks and luggage, then we’d all wind up at the terminal to check in, get back on the bus, and go on the Yarn Crawl.

But, you know, whatever.

We got to the terminal, sure. 
Got off and got into the line to check in, sure. 
Checked in (freeeeezing in there) and got a ticket for a box lunch, four bottles of water, and a cookie (available after 4pm, damnit). 
Then we waited. 

Soon we got back on the bus…with our luggage. Rumor had it that the longshoremen wouldn’t offload the luggage. Something about lunch maybe, but we were never really sure what happened. What we did know was that we went to a different terminal and we left our luggage on the sidewalk there (you know, whatever). THEN we went back to pick up the remainders who—as you can imagine—were none-to-happy with the lack of information and the extensive time spent in that state outside, with their luggage, in the cold, in front of the Sheraton...with no one answering their phone calls.

After we loaded the unhappy folks, we took their luggage and them to the terminals (the rest of us pretty much sat on the bus, knitting a bit). A chunk of the crawl chose to venture off on their own and visit yarn stores by cab. Both groups ultimately had great times, but I have to admit that not being a competitive shopper, the crawl was lovely in that we saw some beautiful stores and neighborhoods, but I don’t have the stomach for body-checking knitters into the boards for some KidSilk Haze—not that it's not beautiful...just that I'm not that kinda knitter.

After the first shop (Tricoter) and finding Brenda some OPI in “I’m Not Really a Waitress”, Brenda, Tonia and I moseyed down to a spectacular little restaurant for a quiet and extremely tasty bite.

At the last of the stores I walked by a very pretty crocheter working on a spectacular looking crocheted scarf, commented on it, and realized I was talking to my roomie! While Dawn and I were getting to know each other, Brenda and Meg (friends forever) found each other. Lots of squealing and laughing ensued. And I bought some laceweight yarn.

We headed to the boat, ship, tub, terminal. We got “organized” via the coded cards we received during the afternoon check-in. Many of us had the “wrong” cards. Brenda and Tonia were two. Jasmine and her crew were others. Some made it into the right group. Some not so much.

But, you know, whatever.

Dawn and I wound up in our room, rather stunned to be there. Unpacked-ish. Visited the buffet (which may have been our last time doing that). Met up for knitting in the bar where we learned that YOU CAN SMOKE INDOORS ON A BOAT. Passed out.

On board!


Anonymous said...

So jealous! And is that yarn in lieu of a mint on the pillow?

LizaKnitter said...

Hope you're having a glorious voyage. I'm honored and flattered that you read not just one but all three of the comments I leftlast week's about Little Women. I must have left them from different e-mail log-ons. But, I'm Elizabeth, known as Liza, from NYC (sometimes NJ) whose job is as a Judaica Librarian. Keep up your wonderful work.