- 1260 - Kublai Khan becomes ruler of the Mongol Empire.
- 1809 - Mary Kies becomes the first woman awarded a U.S. patent, for a technique of weavingstraw with silk and thread. (YOU GO GIRL!)
- 1891 - The Music Hall in New York (now known as Carnegie Hall) has its grand opening and first public performance, with Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky as the guest conductor.
- 1813 - Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (d. 1855)
- 1818 - Karl Marx, German political philosopher (d. 1883)
*1862 - Cinco de Mayo in Mexico: Troops led by Ignacio Zaragoza halt a French invasion in the Battle of Puebla.