Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Sigh...

I know it's late and I'll probably regret posting this but...darn it...this just riles me something crazy.

The Yarn Harlot posted a wonderful "Happy Canada" entry on Canada's birthday. She posted a lot of (actually really interesting and not surprisingly funny) information. She also, inevitably, wound up pointing out differences between Canada and other countries.

Um.
Duh. 
This is how we understand things--by juxtaposing them. Categorizing. It's how the human brain works. No biggie, right?

Then there's this comment:

Canada sounds great & I hope to visit there sometime. With respect, I do feel that much of your pride - and the commenters' - is stated in terms of superiority over the U.S. (in spite of the initial disclaimer). Personally, I think that Canada is able to have many of its wonderful qualities precisely because it shares such a connection with the U.S. Antagonistic countries and organizations that think twice before engaging the U.S. do the same for Canada - greatly out of fear/respect for the U.S. Your own remarks about the Canadian system of being able to easily remove leaders demonstrates one aspect of why it would be difficult for it to have a legitimate "World Power" status. Many may feel that a "World Power" isn't needed or that the idea is outdated - and yet they are quick to call on the U.S. in times of crisis around the world. So many commenters are quick to deride Bush and your own remarks seem to share that tone. While there may have been errors made, and sadly, we've had to learn a new way to fight wars, I personally respect the man and feel safer than I did after the terrorist attacks - the cavalier tone of many reveals that while they may not care for Bush, they also aren't reeling in the same fear we all felt after the attacks. I'm glad to live in a country that pursues and has the means for "good government" but details "the pursuit of happiness" as an intrinsic right of man. Again, I think that Canada sounds wonderful and I won't feel that I've seen and done all I want to see & do until I've been there. However, Canada's greatness would be better stated if it weren't in terms of so-called weaknesses of the U.S.

Posted by: jody l. at July 1, 2008 6:01 PM

Sigh...on so many levels, sigh.

It's a HUMOR BLOG. If you don't like it, don't read it. Seriously. If you don't know Stephanie's politics by now, then learn them, stop commenting, and read something else. There's plenty of right-wing blogs out there (some of them far better reasoned than what you hear on TV or radio, actually) and you can go feel good about your thoughts there.

But don't bogart the fun of the Harlot.

And just because I can't help myself (and because darn it, this is my blog) I have to point out:
the cavalier tone of many reveals that while they may not care for Bush, they also aren't reeling in the same fear we all felt after the attacks. 
I gather Jody wasn't in NY during the 9/11 attacks. Seriously...you wanna talk reeling? Then you want to maybe go look at Bush's numbers in NY. The folks reeling the most certainly didn't vote for the man...nor did they back the war, or...well..any of his policies.
And don't give me the "yeah yeah yeah, but NYC is a bastion of liberals." HOW many years of Giuliani? 
Please. 'Nuff said.

I'm glad to live in a country that pursues and has the means for "good government" but details "the pursuit of happiness" as an intrinsic right of man. 
I truly feel that a country where folks don't get that you can't have a pursuit of happiness without good government is a country not destined for a long life. It's a chicken and egg thing--and good government beats happiness to the finish every time. Canada's done pretty darn well on the happiness scale. We have HOW many living in poverty these days? How many flooding (expensive) emergency rooms because they can't afford insurance? How many laid off? I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that they're not so happy.

However, Canada's greatness would be better stated if it weren't in terms of so-called weaknesses of the U.S.
Okay, back to the how we think thing. There's a French phrase my AP English teacher taught us: 
"Honi soit qui mal y pense" (Evil be to him who evil thinks’)
Which is a nice way of saying "you see what you look for." I'm sorry, but I can't see anywhere that Stephanie said anything outright down on the U.S. 
She was talking about Canada
Which happens to be positioned next to us. 
We're pretty big. 
And loud. 
And pushy (we're kind of the teenager of big countries). 
So if some of the things she lists about Canada seem to be in opposition to things in the US...they probably are. Canada would be part of the US if they didn't do things differently up there. If you point that out, you're not hating on the U.S. 
You're explaining things about Canada.
Writers can point out without meaning to criticize--no need to be so sensitive.
Seriously.
Chill.
It's funny.
Promise.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I love you.

Anonymous said...

AMEN.

Queentypo said...

Thank you, Heather. Apparently this person never had to write a position paper, eh?

FuzzyKittie said...

Some people can't seem to help themselves, can they? Even with Stephanie's disclaimer. Sigh. I thought the Canada Day blog was awesome, even though I live in Oregon not Canada (although Stephen Colbert refers to Oregon as California's Canada). Besides, Canada and I share a birthday, so I say Happy Birthday Canada, and you in the back heckling Stephanie, quit making it about your own politics. And Heather, awesome and articulate as usual.

Anonymous said...

Methinks thou dost protest too much. I think you're being a little unfair to the poster. The comment was not badly written, nor was it an vicious attack on Canada or Stephanie. The commenter praises Canada, but states an opinion, not a screed against Canada or Stephanie.

I think Stephanie is a big enough girl to handle a few opinions that might look at things from a different perspective or even, gasp, disagree with her, which this commenter did not, really; she states her desire to visit Canada and mentions that Canada has wonderful qualities apart from the US.

The commenter didn't attack Stephanie, yet in your blog entry here (not a humor blog) you label her as "right-wing" and suggest that she go somewhere else to "feel good about her thoughts."

You attribute evil thinking to her opinion and use the word "hating" to describe her post. Yikes!

Who doesn't have a sense of humor?

Heather said...

Oops, there's that you-can't-hear-tone-on-the-internets thing. Crud. Sorry about that.

Yes, you're probably right, Gayle. I got my back up--and I know that it's likely 100% due to the 9/11 comment. I do get...um...a little overly sensitive about that. Then again, I think you might agree that's understandable if you read the link.

But the 'hating on' and 'evil' thing...ach, I should have typed 'hatin' on' with the apostrophe because it's a slang phrase and doesn't really mean "Hate" the way it read to you--and I'm sorry for that. Same with the use of Evil. The quote's from a language other than English, and I think my translation of it is pretty accurate to how it's meant. Not that someone's looking for EVIL or God Forbid, is evil themselves, but that people see what they look for.

Which, honestly, I think is true of all of us, right? I mean I saw Jody side with Bush and his response to 9/11 and figured she'd be happier with some right- wing blogs--which seems pretty reasonable as those two positions generally go hand-in-hand (though, honestly, if you look at the blog I link to, you'll see what I mean about well-reasoned. LOTS of people find LOTS to agree with there...though the blogger there is generally right-of-center).

So yes. I probably was too hasty and too sensitive myself. But, as you said, I don't write like Stephanie--I'm not a brilliant humorist.

And, per the first comment on here...she appreciated me having her back. So, I guess I'm okay with that.

KiniaCat Crafts said...

You go, Heather!!
Well said on all counts.

KiniaCat