Sunday, October 16, 2005

Reading List:

So, I know I'm forever recommending books. So here they are with links to Amazon.

Best I can do... in no particular order:

Cryptonomicon

Chorus of Stones

Jasper Fforde (Start with The Eyre Affair)

Frankenstiein *(and an important article about who wrote the book--love this!)

Le Ton Beau de Marot (And anything written by this guy actually)

Adventures in the Screen Trade

Time Traveler's Wife

Mary Russell books (Start with The Bee Keeper's Apprentice DO NOT read the series out of sequence)

1984 (love and am horrified by current incarnations of doublespeak and doublethink), Down and Out in Paris and London (this should just be a must-read...spectacular), Orwell's book of essays esp. "Politics and the English Language" 





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In relation to the Frankenstein article, I like that the author of The Man Who Wrote Frankenstein described Shelley as "an uneducated, teenaged girl".
I guess he never bothered to find out who Shelley's parents were. I find it hard to believe that Mary Wollstonecraft and William Godwin would have left their daughter to go "uneducated". For that matter, I'm sure one of the leading Romanticist writers would engage in writing contests with stupid teenage girls all the time. Not.

It's frustrating to find this kind of overt sexism still permeating literature today. My gender sucks. (I like how intelligent the first sentence sounds, and how stupid the follow-up sentence sounds.)

-Guess who!